Monday, April 6, 2009

Catching up with Caleb... The Winter Months

feb_March_09 185

Okay, I am going to try to get up to date with this blog and not neglect it so much. March 2009 was one of my hardest months ever and my energy was zapped dealing with an assortment of issues. Anyway, since this blog is how I journal about my children since my memory is terrible, I am going to try to write up a little bit about each child’s activities and adventures this winter before I forget it all (well, except for Nyah, since she still has her own blog; I did manage to update it 2x’s in March… soon2bseven.blogspot.com.) So today I am going to start with Caleb, who had the craziest schedule (well next to mom and dad) this winter. My goal is to do all the catch-up entries this week.

DSC_0044

Caleb finished up the wrestling season with a strong finish… winning 2 of his 3 matches at his final competition. He had a fairly good season this year considering we were told at the first match that since he was in a higher age bracket this season that it would likely be a rough one. His coaches continue to be very encouraging and I have been told by more than one that he has potential to do very well in the future once the moves become more instinctual. Even though I find the 9-minutes of wrestling each weekend very hard to watch, I so would love for him to keep it up because I think there will be an opportunity for him to compete down the road… middle and high school. He has been bitten, however, by the basketball bug, after watching both his brothers and some of his friends play this year and has said on a few occasions he plans on doing that next year. Of course, when the time comes, it will be his choice.

DSC_0046

Caleb begrudgingly decided to enter a county-wide poster contest in March ~ he is required to enter 3 contests per a contract we signed at the beginning of the school year for one of his classes and he inherited my procrastination gene so he had one night to come up with something. He came in 1st place for his grade level!

Here is Caleb at a recent chorus concert ~ he gets up two mornings a week early for chorus practice at 7:15am! I pretended he sang "I Want to Hold Your Hand" to me and when I told him that, he hit me. He avoids hugs and kisses from me ~ such torture, though once in a while, he will sit withing a few inches of me during our Survivor and Amazing Race time together.

middle_march09 089

Caleb was also selected to participate in an after-school art workshop that was run by a high school senior and Caleb’s art teacher. I forgot to write a note for him to stay after-school one of the meeting dates so he missed that one and the next one he forgot to turn in the note I had written. What a team we make. So he only attended one session, but I was thrilled he was selected. I’m still searching my side of the family tree for artistic talent and no one on Doug’s side has ‘fessed up to having any so that makes it all the more special.

OM_March6 034

And finally, Caleb participated in the Odyssesy of the Mind Competition in March. The one day even involves creating and acting out a short play that must meet certain criteria and a spontaneous problem where the team has to answer a question on the spot. Caleb has been on the same team for 4 years (what a great group of kids!!) and they practice one day a week from September until March. This year they earned 2nd place!!! They had the top score for the short play in their division ~ it was so funny and well done. Caleb was Prince Charming ~ and he was a handsome one!! I cannot thank his coaches enough for all their hard work. Caleb was beaming when they earned their ribbon and he is already talking about next year.

DSC_0033

Caleb is doing very well in school and we are very proud of him ~ he is making honor roll and has met his reading goals for the year and we know that while he is doing his part, his teachers this year are also pulling great things out of him.

I posted the below picture on my photography blog because I love this moment in time. Just that morning, Brynn was again complaining about having a little sister, and specifically said, "My bruders never play with me. They always play with Nyah, Nyah, Nyah." And she is right. Then, out of no where (this has never happened before), Caleb came home from school and instead of rushing for his video games, he asked Brynn if she would like to play a game with him. Too sweet!

at_play

I’m sure the next post about Caleb will be a baseball one. I am s-l-o-w-l-y adjusting to the idea of being a baseball parent ~ it is a completely different than being a soccer mom let me tell you. When I get a night free from practice, a game, or just trying to get the dirt stains out of his baseball pants, I’ll write more...

No comments: