Yesterday Caleb had what I know will be the first of many Soap Box Derby races. For the last month, when Doug and I simply could not fit one more thing into our schedules, PaPa has been busy working with Caleb on driving the car that his business sponsors and bringing him here and there for meetings, weigh-ins, car impounds, etc. And we cannot thank PaPa enough because Caleb thoroughly enjoyed it! We have not seen that ear-to-ear grin from him in quite some time but it was spotted quite a lot yesterday.Just as we did before Caleb’s first wrestling match earlier this year, we prayed that Caleb would win just one race. These races are won and lost by fractions of seconds so the time between knowing the race ended and the announcement of who won took forever. Caleb made it through 2 rounds (2 races per round) and then went on to win one of the two races in the “Sweet Sixteen” but lost out that round due to the combined total time. But he still came out of that car grinning and ready to do this again next year.
Doug enjoyed spending one-on-one time with Caleb as they waited for his next race and I know Caleb enjoyed the time with PaPa and his cousin Josh who also raced and has been doing so for years. Thanks to all the “fans” that came out and cheered the boys on. I know Caleb and Josh had the largest, and loudest, cheering section!
Here is a very shaky video of one of the races. It is hard to get a steady video with so many kids around. ;) Caleb is in the white car. He won this race, though I didn't film the announcement part... regreting that!


2 comments:
Way to go Caleb!!! What an awesome way to start your "career" in soap box derby racing. Keep us informed and we will be glad to become part of your cheering section. Somehow next year I see four "cheerleaders" fully outfitted in JDS cheer gear!
It was almost as much fun watching the video as it was seeing it in person. Thanks for the memory.
Go Caleb!
Post a Comment